Sunday, January 6, 2013

Meeting Sheriff Fife while Moving West January 2012

Happy camperWe left Georgetown at 9:00am Saturday.  The last 3 days had been cold and wet, good for them as they in a serious drought.  We are headed for Yuma, AZ, 1100+ miles. 

We traveled about 100 miles on State Route #29.  This is a 2 lane west bound country road the meanders thru farm lands, small towns, past big ranches the gates of which cost more that a good automobile.  The road is posted 70 mph, I tow about 64mph.  This because at 18,000 pounds it takes me about 200% on a normal stopping distance if a bull decides to cross the road to revisit a local loose cow.

State Rd #29 took us thru a small town called Mason.  I was interested is all the signs: Mason Building Supplies, Several Mason Churches, Mason Funeral Home, Mason Thrift store, Mason Police Department.  Oh look, one of them would like me to stop and chat!  It’s Sheriff Fife {No, not Barney.  That would be too good to be true}.  During our discussion, he whispered in my ear that 64 in a 55mph zone was not an upright and regular thing to do.  I was contrite, telling him that was most impressed with all the local ‘Mason’ references.  You may remember the PINK PAJAMA incident at The Mason House of Detention which was central to the town.   Brother Fife could arrange a visit is I didn’t mend my way and observe the bylaws of the town.  He gave me an autograph on a warning citation which I will treasure, we parted on the level after passing a certain friendly & brotherly grip.

CoopersBBQAt the location where SR29 merged onto Route 10W we stopped at Cooper’s BBQ.  BBQ place abound here, most are like this one with huge smokers the turn out wonderful BBQ.  Beef tends to be dry and needs sauce, pork ribs and sausage is grand.  Note the large oven on the left side of this picture.  That is were there is a large hardwood fire, the smoke is directed to 7 individual smokers assuring they never get too hot.

wmills

 I-10  is posted at 80mph.  I stay in the right lane at 74mph as the would blasts past at 85mph.  This road is flat with gentle hills.  We see the beginning of Wind Farms, I am at a loss as to why most of them are not turning???DSCN1747

Fort Stockton, TX is 340 miles from Georgetown, we slide into town at 4:00, which allows me a few minutes to take a photo of our rig in the snow and prepare a long awaited Adult Beverage.  Note that the door is open.  It’s 50°+ outside, the show is the remnants of a 6” very unseasonal fall a few days earlier.

Todays blog you will note has few pictures, towing 340 miles in 7 hours leaves no time for pictures, I don’t like to do that.

I will post this on Sunday when I find a Wi-Fi provider {Think Golden Arches}, there is no Verizon here.  This reminds me, please do not send us email with attachments, they are very slow and expensive to receive.  Text is welcome at all times, that may also take a few days to get to us.

No comments :

Post a Comment