Friday, December 14, 2012

Mobile, Al. Highlights of Florida to Texas repositioning 2012

IMG_1701To ‘reposition’ is to make a drastic move of several hundred or a thousand miles.  Given the cost of fuel and my back issues, it is not something we look forward to.  We try to limit ourselves to 200 miles/day or 300 miles and shut down for the weekend.

We stayed over in a small Passport Park in Mobile, Alabama. 

Our adventure started at Felix’s Fish Camp, a wonderful place to spend a lazy afternoon.  It was there that I was introduced to the IMG_1699wonderful appetizer of fresh cooked hot potato chips, drizzled with blue cheese dressing and sprinkled with blue cheese crumbs.  The empty beer glass holds Merry Mischief, it’s a stout like beer that has the exact taste of Ginger Bread.  Anne-Marie had Crab Soup Bread Bowl and I had a Seniors Fried Shrimp & Fish combo that was just wonderful.  Dessert was Key Line pie and I had another serving of liquid Gingerbread.

Being December 6th, our visit to the Battleship Alabama was very interesting.  My photos as usual do not do it justice, click the hyperlink to get a better idea.

DSCN1571DSCN1575DSCN1579

 

 

DSCN1586We have toured about 6 of the various WW II warships.  It was our Fathers generation that were the hero's that prevented WW III from happening.  Reading accounts of this era, I believe the insisting on Total Unconditional Victory was a requirement to assure the the beasts didn’t regenerate themselves as the did in the 30’s.

I offer the photos below as proof that I did contort my old body and tour the Submarine dock next to The Alabama.  To do this I had to enter at the stern and walk thru 7 hatches that were 4 feet tall.   Not an easy task with my brittle old back.  The folks in back of me had plenty of time to enjoy all the gauges and valves!

DSCN1590

DSCN1589

No comments :

Post a Comment