Monday, January 13, 2014

Quartzite 2014 Arrival

IMG_2739

 

We arrived in Quartzite, AZ on Sunday afternoon. We’ve set-up camp with The Boomers, a BOF {Birds Of a Feather} group on the Escapees RV Club.

Quartzite gained notoriety as the base of the United States Army’s Camel Corps in the mid-1800’s.  Proposed by Jefferson Davis, it was one of his 2 well known poor career choices.

Q Camel 

 

 

 

This is a rare photo of a camel in Quartzite.          (Not my Photo)

Hi Jolly is the nickname given the fellow who was imported with the 70 camels.   The Government ended the experiment as war erupted, Hi Jolly bought some of the surplus camels using them to move freight.  There is an appropriate monument in the town cemetery to acknowledge Hi Jolly’s achievements.                    {Not my Photo}

Hi Jolly

{Not my Photo!}

This is also the home of The Quartzite RV Show, which will open next weekend.  This show is said to draw a million RV’ers  into this area every January.  I’m sure the 75° daytime temperature's have some thing to do with that also.

Map Below:  We are located about 2 1/2 miles west of I-10.  It is a mine road which means it is a huge dust storm when ever we use it.

BoomerMap

 

 

 

A few folks have asked me about the software I use for this blog.  I use Window’s Live Writer which is freeware from Microsoft.  I’m not a huge fan of M/S but this program rocks as far as being easy to learn and run.

No comments :

Post a Comment