Monday, December 16, 2013

Not a Routine Day on the Road. 2013

Sunday was scheduled to be a short drive (250) miles to Noblesville, IN. where we would have dinner with our Escapees friends Charlie & Sue Schaffer.  Than the 5 P’s got in our way.  You know the 5 P’s: Prior Perfect Planning Presents Pretty Poor Performance.

To start, the roads were still a mess from our small storm yesterday. ‘Small’ as in 6” of fluffy snow should not bring a northern urban are to it’s knees in this day and age.  Well, when I was a kid…….

Than we got a late start due to my auto awake system had not been activated.  Our Motel had an unusually nice breakfast buffet that begged us to linger for awhile.

IMG_2664About 20 miles later, I sneezed and started a deluge of a bloody nose.  My med ‘Plavax’ slows my clotting so much I could cut myself shaving and have to take a dirt nap.  When I could not get it to stop after 45 minutes, we ended up at Henry Ford Hospital where I received immediate attention.

Good Trick here; 2 tongue depressors are very securely taped together at one end making a very effective clamp to hold pressure for about an hour.  I won’t leave home without these as this is a reoccurring exercise in my life ;-(

Back on the road, it is almost 2:00 and we have 200 miles to go.  How can it get worse?  I missed an exit in Toledo {busy tuning radio} and was forced to detour.

Than Serendipity Happens when we least expect it!  We are in front of Tony Packo’s CafĂ© a Bar and Famous hot dog emporium!  Not famous to you?  Read the link above and if you had a pulse in the 70’s it will come back to you.  The dogs and chili were great as usual.

IMG_2668Pakos

We  lingered over lunch, went back into retirement mode.  Call the Schaffers and told them that lunch tomorrow was just as good as dinner tonight.  We stopped about 50 miles north of them in Gas City, IN.

 

Hope for a better day tomorrow!

No comments :

Post a Comment