Saturday, April 27, 2013

A long April 2013

 

This has been a long month for us, cabin fever has set in big time.  My back surgery and a mysterious flu-like sickness that slammed us for about 10 days (each) have reduced us to living but not thriving.  I have one visit to my back surgeon, we are hoping that we are released to the road at that time.

DSCN1941DSCN1943I’m not having too much luck picking up chicks, guess I‘ll keep the one I have!

Anne-Marie has a new Nokia Windows 8 based phone.  It is simple and does everything she needs {phone & Mail mostly}.  Some DSCN1960would say it’s a step down from her Droid.  he likes it which is which matters.  It was also very cost effective. 

 

We made a road trip to Waco and the neighboring town of West, TX.  We never got to West as the area is still closed off due to the fertilizer explosion.  My desire in getting to West was to review the damage to their Masonic Lodge.  Sad to say I was in contact with a Brother who told me that the small building was badly damaged and several Brothers were amongst the 1st responders. 

Waco is the home to the Texas ranger’s Museum.  It was a good 2 hour walk thru which gave insight to the activities of the Texas rangers for about 200 years.

DSCN1947DSCN1945DSCN1949.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’m not a gun fellow, although one of my 1st jobs out of High school was assembling single action Colt 45’s in Hartford.  They display hundreds of them here.  Most are commemorative editions which have engraving the is very impressive.

DSCN1950

DSCN1952DSCN1951DSCN1953

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_2087Waco is also the location of the Grand Lodge of Texas.  We were warmly welcomed there and given a personalized tour by a knowledgeable Brother who was a librarian.  The building is about 80 years old and contains a Lodge Room that seats 5,000, all with unobstructed views!  Brothers from Connecticut may see a IMG_2085few differences here.  BTW, Our guide showed interest in my ring and told me that I would not find a Texas mason wear such a sign!

 

IMG_2089IMG_2091IMG_2095

This Apron is to commemorate Buzz Aldren’s claim in establishing Tranquility Lodge on the moon for the Grand Lodge of Texas.

 

 

DSCN1957

 

 

My Dad always referred to a Bar as ‘A Gin Mill’.  Seeing this one at 5:00 pm on our way home, I choose it for dinner.  It was a rehabilitated actual Gin Mill and was predictably wonderful. Thanks Dad!

We hope to be on the road next week traveling to more misadventures, join us please and feel free to leave comments or email me at pmarno@gmail.com

 

 

  

 

No comments :

Post a Comment